Electricity in Texas

Electricity in Texas
Electricity in Texas
Figure 8 illustrates the rapid growth in wind capacity in Texas, showing annual installed wind capacity between 2000 and 2012 and predicted capacity, including plants with signed interconnection agreements, until the end of 2014 . At the end of 2012 total capacity was expected to stand at 11,964MW, and by the end of 2014 it was expected to reach 12.286MW. According to the US EIA, Texas has the largest wind capacity of all US states, around 20% of the total US wind capacity, and seven of the ten largest wind farms in the USA.
Single User Price: $350.00
User: 

Summary

This report serves as an overview of the electricity market in Texas.It contains power supply data covering production, imports and exports and the main production sources and includes power demand data by market sector and tariff data. The report provides an overview of the structure of the electricity sector with government and private sector companies as well as the regulatory status. Also included are power demand forecasts and the development of the power sector to meet expected growth as well as transmission system expansion plans.

This report is a State Profile, covering:

  • Power generation capacity by fuel input
  • Electricity networks
  • Current power market trends
  • Generation growth
  • Investment opportunities
  • Future project plans

Key Findings of the Report

  • Texas has some of the largest oil and gas reserves in the USA, and is the largest producer of both.
  • Oil reserves in Texas were recently put at 7,014m barrels (bbls), 26.4% of the US total.
  • Natural gas reserves in Texas were recently put at 2,780bn m3, 29.4% of the US total.
  • The electricity system in Texas is fragmented to the extent that 75% of the territory is served by the semi-isolated ERCOT interconnection, while the remaining 25% is served either by providers on the Western Interconnection or by the Eastern Interconnection.
  • For most of the year the ERCOT system has a significant margin on capacity over load, but this narrows during the hottest summer months. For example, the peak load exceeded 60,000MW for 360h in 2011 and 155h in 2012. Similarly peak load exceeded 65,000MW for 74h in 2011 and 23h in 2012. Currently the ISO has a target capacity reserve margin of 13.75%.

Key Questions Answered

  • How does Texas generate its electricity?
  • What is the status of the national electricity market?
  • What are the key developments in electricity infrastructure?
  • Who are the key players in market?
  • What are the future prospects for investment in Texas?

Key Benefits of this Report

  • What are the key energy resources in Texas for power production.
  • How is the country overcoming the effects of power shortage?
  • What are the key developments in electricity infrastructure?
  • Who are the key players in market?
  • What are the investment opportunities in the country?

Date Published / Pages / Format

April 2014 / 41 / PDF